Kimberly (kimberly_a) wrote,

  • Mood:
Busy day. And hot hot hot hot hot hot hot. Summer has finally arrived in the Bay Area!

Our building guy came over this morning and I talked to him for a while about the garage. He's going to talk to an architect he knows to see how much it would cost to do the plan for the city, so I'm waiting to hear from him again. I feel like things are finally moving forward!

After that, I went out to run some errands: hardware store, Berkeley Bowl, Walgreens. On the walk home, I was sweating like nobody's business. I hate hot weather. Boy am I glad I decided not to buy the big plastic storage bins I was admiring at Walgreens! Walking a mile carrying those in the sun and heat would not have been fun!

After lunch, I did a bunch of housework: a few loads of laundry, changing the sheets, pulling long-neglected boxes out of my office closet and putting the contents (mostly pillows, blankets, afghans, quilts, etc.) where they belong, clearing the way in the foyer so it's easier to get our bikes in and out of the house, organizing not-currently-wearable clothes into functional categories, so that I now have a box of "summer clothes," a box of "skinny clothes" (sizes 3-9) a box of "fat clothes" (sizes 14-16), and two boxes of "winter clothes" ('cause they're so bulky). I could really scale down my wardrobe if my weight were a bit more consistent!

One of the things I did today was put our double wedding ring quilt on the bed for the first time ever, I think. This is a traditional quilt my mom made for me (starting when I was an infant), with the intention always to give it to me as a wedding present when I got married. As I edged into my upper 20s, her eyesight wasn't as good anymore and she was beginning to have trouble quilting because her fingers were growing less nimble, so she sped up her work and gave me the quilt when I was 28, under the assumption that if I wasn't married by then I probably would never marry. Ha! Two years later, I was married. But Shannon says that at first I was too anxious to use the quilt, afraid that it might get dirty, or faded, or torn, or worn out, or whatever. And then it went missing for several years. But today I found it in the back of the closet, and I thought, "My mom spent more than 25 years working on this quilt ... and I honor it by leaving it where it is never seen or used?" So I pulled it out of the closet and put it on the bed, and it's beautiful. It makes me happy. The cats seem to like it, too, but then they like to lie down on pretty much any clean cloth.

As I write this, the time is approximately 5:00 p.m. ... and I haven't taken a single nap today. I haven't even felt the slightest urge to do so. Woo hoo!
Tags: construction, garage, house, remodel, weather

  • Resting Up

    My stomach has been doing okay since last Tuesday, but walking to CWC on Friday totally wiped me out, so apparently I'm still tiring easily, still…

  • Rambling

    I have a million things I want/need to write about. We'll see how many I manage to get to before my writing-fu weakens. Ruth's Chris Steak House…

  • Wonderful day with the hubby

    Had a tremendous day today, helped by the fact that I've been tremendously hypomanic. (I'm seeing my psychiatrist tomorrow, so we'll talk about this…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your IP address will be recorded